Internships in Cancer Research
Summer undergraduate research opportunities:
CANCER RESEARCH, EDUCATION AND TRAINING EXPERIENCE (CREATE)
The CREATE program is an integrated summer experience for talented, motivated undergraduate students interested in a cancer research career. Trainees will conduct independent cancer biology research under the mentorship of a CREATE program faculty mentor and engage in a weekly research seminar with other CREATE students. The research experience will be coupled with a Cancer Education Workshop that will provide an overview of cancer biology and development of key professional development skills. Visit the Life Sciences Undergraduate Research Program's page to learn more out intern opportunitites.
INTERNSHIP ON HEALTH DISPARITIES AND CANCER RESEARCH (M-ASCEND)
- For high school students, there is year-round programming, including online after school sessions, Saturday events on campus, and a summer research intensive.
- For high school teachers, there is a summer bootcamp to introduce MCC resources and support innovative lesson development.
- For undergraduate students, there is a summer internship to provide an opportunity for focused work with U of M researchers, either in MCC or PHDR.
Juniors & Seniors Majoring in the Sciences
Each year, undergraduate students are selected to work in the Summer Undergraduate Research Experience (SURE) program with scientists at The Hormel Institute. Students work on research projects to expand their knowledge of basic research as well as learn about equipment and techniques that generally are not available in undergraduate academic programs. Students are selected based on their high level of academic achievement, recommendations, their area of study and plans to pursue careers in science-related fields. Freshmen and sophomores are also welcome to apply, but consideration will be given to more advanced students first.
Learn more and apply at https://www.hi.umn.edu/opportunities/sure/
A number of agencies and groups sponsor summer research experience programs or presentation opportunities for undergraduate students. Google searches will find websites for many of these programs. Many have deadlines in January or February.
- National Science Foundation Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU)
- National Institutes of Health Summer Internship Program
- National Cancer Institute Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics
- National Conference on Undergraduate Research
- Kennedy Krieger Institute Research Initiatives for Student Enhancement (RISE) Program
- LIVESTRONG Cancer Institutes’ Summer Undergraduate Research Fellowship (SURF)