The Randy Shaver Cancer Research & Community Fund
The Randy Shaver Cancer Research & Community Fund is pleased to announce the 2018 Request for Proposals (RFP) and asked the University of Minnesota Foundation (UMF) to manage the application process. Last year, this fund supported 17 research projects at the Masonic Cancer Center.
Please submit your one-page Letter of Intent (LOI) to the University of Minnesota Foundation (UMF) at firstname.lastname@example.org. Your LOI submission is due to UMF by Friday, September 28, and will be reviewed by a layperson on behalf of the Shaver Fund. Selected applicants will be notified the week of October 1 with an invitation to submit a full application to UMF by Wednesday, October 24.
For previous awardees only, grant awards will range from $30,000 to $50,000 this year. A funding cap of $25,000 has been set for new applicants. The Shaver Fund does not support salary for the PI or staff.
New applications for projects in the following areas will not be considered for funding:
The LOI should be no more than one page (Word format, 12-point Arial font) and include the following:
- Applicant Name
- Project Title
- Specific Aims
- Research Strategy
Selected applicants will be required to:
- Complete a full grant application and return it to UMF by Wednesday, October 24
- Present proposal and respond to questions for 15-20 minutes to two Shaver Fund representatives at the Masonic Cancer Research Building on November 12-13, 2018 (dates tentative)
- Final candidates will present no more than a 3-minute summary (using 3 Minute Thesis® format) to the Shaver Fund Board of Directors in January 2019
Final awards will be announced in January 2019.
Award recipients will be required to:
- Attend Rush Creek Gala Event on Sunday, June 2, 2019 at the Medina Entertainment Center in Medina, MN (if not attending ASCO)
- Submit a 6-month progress report to UMF no later than Wednesday, July 31, 2019
- Submit an annual report to UMF no later than 13 months from the date of distribution
Please submit your LOI to UMF at email@example.com.
For questions, please contact Wolfe Molitor, Development Officer at the University of Minnesota Foundation – email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-7189.