Patrick J. Bolan, PhD
Dr. Bolan is an Associate Professor in Radiology. After receiving his B.S. in Mechanical Engineering from the University of Illinois (UIUC) and post-graduate studies at UC Berkeley, Dr. Bolan spent five years working in industry as a software engineer. He joined Dr. Michael Garwood's group at the University of Minnesota in 1999 and received his Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering in 2003 while developing methods for performing quantitative MR spectroscopy of breast cancer. He stayed on at the UMN Center for Magnetic Resonance Research as a postdoctoral associate and later as an Assistant Professor and an Associate Professor. His research focuses on developing methods for MR imaging and spectroscopy of cancer in animal models and human subjects, and translating research methodologies into clinical practice.
- MR imaging and spectroscopy of human breast cancer
- MR imaging and visualization of microvasculature in animal models
- Computational methods for MR spectroscopy analysis
- Methods for abdominal high-field MR spectroscopy
- Bolan PJ, Yacoub E, Garwood M, Ugurbil K, Harel N. In Vivo Micro-MRI of Intracortical Neurovasculature. Neuroimage. 2006 Aug;32(1):62-69.
- Meisamy S, Bolan PJ, Baker EH, Pollema MG, Le CT, Kelcz F, Lechner MC, Luikens BA, Carlson RA, Brandt KR, Amrami KK, Nelson MT, Everson LI, Emory TH, Tuttle TM, Yee D, Garwood M. Adding in vivo quantitative 1H MR spectroscopy to improve diagnostic accuracy of breast MR imaging: preliminary results of observer performance study at 4.0 T. Radiology. 2005 Aug;236(2):465-75.
- Bolan PJ, Henry PG, Baker EH, Meisamy S, Garwood M. Measurement and correction of respiration-induced B0 variations in breast 1H MRS at 4 Tesla.Magn Reson Med. 2004 Dec;52(6):1239-45.
- Meisamy S, Bolan PJ, Baker EH, Bliss RL, Gulbahce E, Everson LI, Nelson MT, Emory TH, Tuttle TM, Yee D, Garwood M. Neoadjuvant chemotherapy of locally advanced breast cancer: predicting response with in vivo (1)H MR spectroscopy--a pilot study at 4 T. Radiology. 2004 Nov;233(2):424-31.
- Bolan PJ, Meisamy S, Baker EH, Lin J, Emory T, Nelson M, Everson LI, Yee D, Garwood M. In vivo quantification of choline compounds in the breast with 1H MR spectroscopy. Magn Reson Med. 2003 Dec;50(6):1134-43.
- Bolan PJ, DelaBarre L, Baker EH, Merkle H, Everson LI, Yee D, Garwood M. Eliminating spurious lipid sidebands in 1H MRS of breast lesions. Magn Reson Med. 2002 Aug;48(2):215-22.