Ming Li, PhD
Dr. Ming Li earned his BS in Biological Science from Henan Normal University in China, his MS in Neurotoxicology from the Chinese Academy of Sciences in Beijing, and his PhD in Molecular Biology from the University of Hong Kong. He did postdoctoral training with Webster Cavenee, PhD; and Frank Furnari, PhD, at the Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research of the University of California San Diego.
Most recently, Dr. Li was an Associate Professor and PI at the Second Affiliated Hospital of Soochow University in China, where he was the Director of the Laboratory of Brain Tumor Biology. Prior to that, he taught in the Department of Human and Molecular Genetics at Virginia Commonwealth University in Richmond.
Awards & Recognition
- Distinguished Medical Professorship Award of Jiangsu Province, China, 2016
- AACR Scholar-In-Training Award, 2009
- The American Brain Tumor Association Basic Research Fellowship, 2008-2010
Assistant Professor, Department of Neurosurgery
Fellowship, Ludwig Institute for Cancer Research, University of California San Diego
PhD in Molecular Biology, University of Hong Kong
MS in Neurotoxicology, Institute of Zoology, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing, China
BS in Biology Science, Department of Biology, Henan Normal University, China
As a member of the University of Minnesota Masonic Cancer Center, Dr. Li’s research team focuses on the immune microenvironment’s role in the initiation, progression, and therapeutic resistance of glioblastoma, the most common and lethal brain tumor. Their long-term goal is to develop novel therapies for this brain cancer.
- Sun L, Chen L, Zhu H, Li Y, Chen CC, Li M*. FHL1 promotes glioblastoma aggressiveness through regulating EGFR expression. FEBS Lett. 2020 Oct 14. doi: 10.1002/1873-3468.13955. Epub ahead of print.
- Yu S, Yu X, Sun L, Zheng Y, Chen L, Xu H, Jin J, Lan Q, Chen CC, Li M*. GBP2 enhances glioblastoma invasion through Stat3/fibronectin pathway. Oncogene. 2020;39(27):5042-5055.
- Ji X, Zhu H, Dai X, Xi Y, Sheng Y, Gao C, Liu H, Xue Y, Liu J, Shi J, Zhang Y, Chen Y, Dai X, Li M, Wang A, Dong J. Overexpression of GBP1 predicts poor prognosis and promotes tumor growth in human glioblastoma multiforme. Cancer Biomark. 2019;25(3):275-290.
- Sun L, Yu S, Xu H, Zheng Y, Lin J, Wu M, Wang J, Wang A, Lan Q, Furnari F, Cavenee W, Purow B, Li M*. FHL2 interacts with EGFR to promote glioblastoma growth. Oncogene. 2018;37(10):1386-1398.
- Xu H, Sun L, Zheng Y, Yu S, Jia OY, Han H, Dai X, Yu X, Li M*, Lan Q*. GBP3 promotes glioma cell proliferation via SQSTM1/p62-ERK1/2 axis. Biochem Biophys Res Commun.2018;495(1):446-453.
- Olmez I, Love S, Xiao A, Manigat L, Randolph P, McKenna BD, Neal BP, Boroda S, Li M, et al. Targeting the mesenchymal subtype in glioblastoma and other cancers via inhibition of diacylglycerol kinase alpha. Neuro Oncol. 2018;20(2):192-202.
- Li M, Xiao A, Floyd D, Olmez I, Lee J, Godlewski J, Bronisz A, Nakano I, and Purow B. CDK4/6 inhibition is more active against the glioblastoma proneural subtype. Oncotarget. 2017;8(33):55319-55331.
- Lan Q, Wang AD, Cheng YW, Mukasa A, Ma JW, Hong L, Yu SY, Sun LL, Huang Q, Purow B, Li M*. Guanylate binding protein-1 mediates EGFRvIII and promotes glioblastoma cell growth in vivo but not in vitro. Oncotarget. 2016;7(9):9680-91
- Tian XY, Zhang L, Sun LG, Li M*. Epigenetic Regulation of miR-129-2 Leads to Overexpression of PDGFRa and FoxP1 in Glioma Cells. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev. 2015;16(14):6129-33.
- Costa ET, Barnabé G, Li M, et al. Intratumoural heterogeneity of ADAM23 promotes tumour growth and metastasis through LGI4 and nitric oxide signals. Oncogene. 2015;34(10):1270-9.
- Gomez GG, Volinia S, Croce CM, Zanca C, Li M, Emnett R, Gutmann DH, Brennan CW, Furnari FB, Cavenee WK. Suppression of MicroRNA-9 by Mutant EGFR Signaling Upregulates FOXP1 to Enhance Glioblastoma Tumorigenicity. Cancer Res. 2014;74(5):1429-39.
- Latha K#, Li M#, Chumbalkar V, Gururaj A, Hwang Y, Dakeng S, Sawaya R, Aldape K, Cavenee WK, Bogler O, Furnari FB. Nuclear EGFRvIII-STAT5b complex contributes to glioblastoma cell survival by direct activation of the Bcl-XL promoter. Int J Cancer. 2013;132(3):509-20.
- Li M, Mukasa A, Inda MD, Zhang J, Chin L, Cavenee W, Furnari F. Guanylate binding protein-1 is a novel effector of EGFR-driven invasion in glioblastoma. J Exp Med. 2011; 208(13):2657-73.
- Wang Y, Huang J, Li M, Mitchell P, Zhou X, Tewari M, Cavenee W, Furnari F, Taniguchi T. MicroRNA-138 modulates DNA damage response by repressing histone H2AX expression. Mol Cancer Res. 2011; 9(8):1100-11.