Charles Ryan, MD
Research interests: My research focuses on the development of novel therapies for patients with advanced and recurrent prostate cancer. In particular, I have focused on new hormonal and targeted therapies for prostate cancer, as well as the biomarkers that define aggressiveness of disease and response to treatment. I also lead projects related to the cognitive effects of prostate cancer therapies and the role of exercise and lifestyle and their effect on patients with prostate cancer.
My clinical interests: My clinical work is focused on patients with all genitourinary cancers with a particular focus on prostate cancer and testicular cancer
Educational interests: I mentor many trainees and faculty in the development of research strategies related to genitourinary cancers.
- Clinical Trials
- Hormonal Therapy for prostate cancer
- Therapy development for prostate cancer
- Treatment of advanced testicular cancer
- Cancer survivorship
- Exercise and Cancer
- American Society of Clinical Oncology
- American Association for Ethical Research
- Alliance for Clinical Trials in Oncology
- National Comprehensive Cancer Network
- Prostate Cancer Foundation
- American Joint Committee on Cancer
- Movember Foundation
- NCI/GUSC Prostate Cancer Task Force
Professor of Medicine, Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation
B.J. Kennedy Chair in Clinical Medical Oncology
Medical School, University of Wisconsin Medical School, Madison, WI
Residency, University of Wisconsin Hospital and Clinics, Madison, WI
Fellowship, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY
Bachelor's Degree, Marquette University, Milwaukee, Wisconsin
- Urologic Oncology
- Prostate Cancer
- Clinical Trials
- Hormonal Therapy
- Secondary Hormonal Therapy
- Insulin-like Growth Factor Receptor
- Androgen Receptor
- Adrenal Androgens
- Angiogenesis Inhibitors
- Testicular Cancer
- Germ Cell Neoplasm
- Human Research Subject Protection
- Research Ethics
Research Funding Grants
- Prostate Cancer Foundation Challenge Award
- NIH National Cancer Institute Cancer Center Support Grant
- NIH National Cancer Institute Serum Androgens Grant
- Alliance (CALGB) Grant
- American Association for Cancer Research Grant
- Ryan, CJ. The Virility Paradox: The Vast Influence of Testosterone on Our Bodies, Minds, and the World We Live In
- Ryan CJ, Crawford ED, Shore ND, Underwood W 3rd, Taplin ME, Londhe A, John Francis PS, Phillips J, McGowan T, Kantoff PW. The IMAAGEN Study: Effect of Abiraterone Acetate and Prednisone on Prostate Specific Antigen and Radiographic Disease Progression in Patients with Nonmetastatic Castration Resistant Prostate Cancer. J Urol. 2018. PMID: 29630978.
- Ryan CJ, Kheoh T, Li J, Molina A, De Porre P, Carles J, Efstathiou E, Kantoff PW, Mulders PFA, Saad F, Chi KN. Prognostic Index Model for Progression-Free Survival in Chemotherapy-Naïve Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Treated With Abiraterone Acetate Plus Prednisone. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017; pii: S1558-76736(17)30211-2. PMCID: PMC5785489.
- Ryan CJ, Smith MR, Fong L, Rosenberg JE, Kantoff PW, Raynuad F, Martins V, Lee G, Kheoh T, Kim J, Molina A, Small EJ. Phase I clinical trial of the CYP 17 inhibitor abiraterone Acetate (CB7630), demonstrating clinical activity in castration-resistant prostate cancer patients with prior ketoconazole therapy. J Clin Oncol 28: 1481-88, 2010.
- Ryan CJ, Shah S, Efstathiou E, Smith MR, Taplin ME, Bubley GJ, Logothetis CJ, Kheoh T, Kilian C, Haqq CM, Molina A,6 and Small EJ. Phase II Study of Abiraterone Acetate in Chemotherapy-Nave Metastatic Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer Displaying Bone Flare Discordant With Serologic Response. Clin. Cancer Res. 2011; 17(14):4854-6. PMCID: PMC3657705
- Ryan CJ, Smith MR, De Bono JS, Molina A, Logothetis C, De Souza P, Fizazi K, Mainwaring P, Piulats JM, Ng S, Carles J, Mulders P, Basch E, Small EJ, Saad F, Schrijvers D, Van Poppel H, Mukherjee SD, Sc M, Suttmann H, Gerritsen WR, Flaig TW, George DJ, Yu EY, Efstathiou E, Pantuck A, Winquist E, Higano CS, Taplin M, Park Y, Kheoh T, Griffin T, Scher HI, Rathkopf DE, on behalf of the COU-AA-302 Investigators*. Abiraterone in Metastatic Prostate Cancer without previous Chemotherapy. New England Journal of Medicine. 2013; 368(2):138-148.
- Ryan CJ, Arturo Molina A, Li J, Kheoh T. Small EJ, Haqq CM, Grant RP, de Bono JS, Scher HI. Serum Androgens as Prognostic Biomarkers in Castration-Resistant Prostate Cancer: Results From an Analysis of a Randomized Phase III Trial. Journal of Clinical Oncology. 2013; 31(22):2791-2798. PMCID: PMC5569674.
- Ryan CJ, Peng W, Kheoh T, Welkowsky E, Haqq CM, Chandler DW, Scher HI, Molina A. Androgen dynamics and serum PSA in patients treated with abiraterone acetate. Prostate Cancer Prostatic Dis. 2014; 17(2):192-198. PMCID: PMC4020277.
- Newton RU, Kenfield SA, Hart NH, Chan JM, Courneya KS, Catto J, Finn SP, Greenwood R, Hughes DC, Mucci L, Plymate SR, Praet SFE, Guinan EM, Van Blarigan EL, Casey O, Buzza M, Gledhill S, Zhang L, Galvão DA, Ryan CJ, Saad F. Intense Exercise for Survival among Men with Metastatic Castrate-Resistant Prostate Cancer (INTERVAL-GAP4): a multicentre, randomised, controlled phase III study protocol. BMJ Open. 2018; 8(5):e022899. PMCID: PMC5961562.
- Guinney J, Wang T, Laajala TD, Winner KK, Bare JC, Neto EC, Khan SA, Peddinti G, Airola A, Pahikkala T, Mirtti T, Yu T, Bot BM, Shen L, Abdallah K, Norman T, Friend S, Stolovitzky G, Soule H, Sweeney CJ, Ryan CJ, Scher HI, Sartor O, Xie Y, Aittokallio T, Zhou FL, Costello JC; Prostate Cancer Challenge DREAM Community. Prediction of overall survival for patients with metastatic castration-resistant prostate cancer: development of a prognostic model through a crowdsourced challenge with open clinical trial data. Lancet Oncol. 2017; 18(1):132-142. PMCID: PMC5217180.
Academic Interests and Focus
My on campus teaching involves case based training and teaching in the medical oncology clinic as well as within the Hematology/Oncology Fellowship Program.
Masonic Cancer Center
- Medical Oncology
All genitourinary cancers with a particular focus on prostate cancer and testicular cancer.
Fairview Ridges Hospital, Fairview Lakes Medical Center; Fairview Northland Medical Center, Fairview Southdale Hospital; University of Minnesota Medical Center