Beshay Zordoky, MSc, PhD
My research focuses on cardio-oncology. Cardio-oncology has emerged as a novel scientific discipline that aims to mitigate the cardiovascular adverse effects of anti-cancer agents. Since the survival of cancer patients has significantly increased over the past two decades, it is very important to improve the quality of life of these cancer survivors.
Awards & Recognition
- Masonic Cancer Center Women's Health Scholar - University of Minnesota.
- American Cancer Society - Institutional Research Grant.
- Rally Foundation for Childhood Cancer Research Grant.
- Best Poster Award for Pre-K Scholars, CTSI - University of Minnesota.
- Special Merit Award for Research Excellence, College of Pharmacy, University of Minnesota.
- Young Investigator Travel Grant, International Society of Heart Research.
- New Investigator Pre-K Career Development Award, CTSI - University of Minnesota.
- Clinician Fellowship, Alberta Innovates - Health Solutions.
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Canadian Institutes of Health Research.
- Pre-Doctoral Dissertation Fellowship, University of Alberta.
Assistant Professor, Department of Experimental and Clinical Pharmacology (ECP)
University of Alberta, Faculty of Medicine, Cardiovascular Research
University of Alberta, Canada, Pharmaceutical Sciences
Ain Shams University, Egypt, Clinical Pharmacy,
Ain Shams University, Egypt, Pharmacy
- Identifying the mechanisms of juvenile anthracycline-induced latent cardiotoxicity.
- Determining the role of cellular senescence in cancer treatment-induced cardiovascular toxicity.
- Defining sex-related differences in cardiovascular diseases.
Grant MKO, Seelig DM, Sharkey LC, Choi WSV, Abdelgawad IY, Zordoky BN. Sexual dimorphism of acute doxorubicin-induced nephrotoxicity in C57Bl/6 mice. PLoS One. 2019 Feb 20;14(2):e0212486. PMID: 30785938.
Meiners B, Shenoy C, Zordoky BN. Clinical and preclinical evidence of sex-related differences in anthracycline-induced cardiotoxicity. Biology of Sex Differences. 2018 Aug 29;9(1):38. PMID: 30157941.
Matsumura N*, Zordoky BN*, Robertson IM*, Hamza SM, Parajuli N, Soltys CM, Beker DL, Grant MK, Razzoli M, Bartolomucci A, and Dyck JRB. Co-administration of resveratrol with doxorubicin in young mice attenuates detrimental late-occurring cardiovascular changes. Cardiovascular Research. 2018 1;114(10):1350-1359.PMID: 29566148. * Equally contributed to the manuscript.
Carlson A, Alderete KS, Grant MKO, Seelig DM, Sharkey LC, Zordoky BNM. Anticancer effects of resveratrol in canine hemangiosarcoma cell lines. Veterinary and Comparative Oncology. 2018 Jun 16(2):253-261. PMID: 29235249.
Grant MK, Seelig DM, Sharkey LC, Zordoky BN. Sex-dependent alteration of cardiac cytochrome P450 gene expression by doxorubicin in C57Bl/6 mice. Biology of Sex Differences. 2017 Jan 7;8:1. PMID: 28078076.
Zordoky BN, Radin J, Heller Lois, Tobias A, Matise Ilze, Apple Fred S, McCune SA, Sharkey LC. The interplay between genetic background and sexual dimorphism of doxorubicin-induced cardiotoxicity. Cardio-Oncology. 2016 March 15; 2:4. PMID: 28758028.
Sung MM*, Zordoky BN*, Bujak AL, Lally JS, Fung D, Young ME, Horman S, Miller EJ, Light PE, Kemp BE, Steinberg GR, Dyck JR. AMPK deficiency in cardiac muscle results in dilated cardiomyopathy in the absence of changes in energy metabolism. Cardiovascular Research. 2015 Jul 15;107(2):235-45. PMID: 26023060.
Zordoky BN*, Nagendran J*, Pulinilkunnil T*, Kienesberger PC, Masson G, Waller TJ, Kemp BE, Steinberg GR, Dyck JR. AMPK-dependent inhibitory phosphorylation of ACC is not essential for maintaining myocardial fatty acid oxidation. Circulation Research. 2014 Aug 15;115(5):518-24. PMID: 25001074.
* Equally contributing co-authors.
PHAR 6732: Medicinal Chemistry and Pharmacology of Cardiovascular Agents.
PHAR 6726: Principles of Pharmacology.
PHAR 6700: Becoming a Pharmacist.