Badrinath Konety, MD, MBA
Dr. Badrinath Konety serves as Associate Dean for Innovation. He is also a professor in the Department of Urology and Director of the Institute for Prostate and Urologic Cancers.
A board-certified urologist, Konety graduated from M.S. Ramaiah Medical College of Bangalore University in India before relocating to the United States for a research fellowship in the Department of Urology at the Veterans Administration Medical Center/University of California San Francisco. He then completed his general surgery and urology residency at the University of Pittsburgh in Pennsylvania, after which he was an American Foundation for Urologic Disease research scholar as well as a recipient of the Ferdinand Valentine fellowship at the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute. Konety completed a fellowship in urologic oncology at the Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in New York City, where he served as Chief Clinical Fellow. He also completed his MBA at the Katz Graduate School of Business at the University of Pittsburgh. He was previously Assistant Professor of Urology and Chief of Urology at the University of Iowa as well as Associate Professor and Vice-Chair of the Department of Urology at the University of California San Francisco prior to assuming his position at the University of Minnesota.
Konety is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons and the American Urologic Association. He also is secretary/treasurer of the Societe Internationale d’Urologie (US Section). He has published more than 120 peer-reviewed articles, as well as a number of book chapters and review articles. He is on the editorial board of several journals and is a member of multiple guideline panels. He has been awarded a number of grants from the DOD, NCI, ACS and CDC. He is recognized as an expert on prostate and bladder cancer. He has given presentations on a wide range of urologic oncology topics nationally and internationally. He has been listed on the Best Doctors in America since 2009.
Awards & Recognition
- Best Doctors in America® (2011-2012, 2013)
- Mpls St. Paul Magazine "Top Doctor" (2014-2015)
- Minnesota Monthly "Best Doctors" (2014)
Associate Dean for Strategy and Innovation, Medical School
Professor, Department of Urology
Associate Director, Clinical Affairs & Clinical Research, Masonic Cancer Center (MCC)
M.S. Ramaiah Medical College, Bangalore, India
University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA (Urology)
Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, New York, NY (Urologic Oncology); University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute, Pittsburgh, PA (Urologic Oncology)
- Konety BR. Intravesical Therapy for Nonmuscle Invasive Bladder Cancer: Twenty-First Century Edition. Urol Clin North Am. 2020 Feb
- Sathianathen NJ, Regmi S, Gupta S, Konety BR.Immuno-Oncology Approaches to Salvage Treatment for Non-muscle invasive Bladder Cancer. Urol Clin North Am. 2020 Feb.
- Konety BR, Narayan VM, Dinney CPN. Bacillus Calmette-Guérin Salvage Therapy: Definitions and Context. Urol Clin North Am. 2020 Feb.
- Morrison JC, Gershman B, Konety B, Cost N, Kim SP. Centralization of Health Care to Facilitate Greater Use of Nephron-Sparing Surgery for Localized Renal Tumors: Identifying Appropriate Health Care Delivery. Ann Surg Oncol. 2020 Jan 23.
- Rosser BRS, Hunt SL, Capistrant BD, Kohli N, Konety BR, Mitteldorf D, Ross MW, Talley KM, West W.Understanding Prostate Cancer in Gay, Bisexual, and Other Men Who Have Sex with Men and Transgender Women: A Review of the Literature. Curr Sex Health Rep. 2019 Dec.
- Venkatramani V, Reis IM, Castle EP, Gonzalgo ML, Woods ME, Svatek RS, Weizer AZ, Konety BR, Tollefson M, Krupski TL, Smith ND, Shabsigh A, Barocas DA, Quek ML, Dash A, Kibel AS, Pruthi RS, Montgomery JS, Weight CJ, Sharp DS, Chang SS, Cookson MS, Gupta GN, Gorbonos A, Uchio EM, Skinner E, Soodana-Prakash N, Becerra MF, Swain S, Kendrick K, Smith JA Jr, Thompson IM, Parekh DJ. Predictors of Recurrence, and Progression-Free and Overall Survival following Open versus Robotic Radical Cystectomy: Analysis from the RAZOR Trial with a 3-Year Followup. J Urol. 2019 Sep 24.
- Polter EJ, Wheldon CW, Rosser BRS, Kohli N, Capistrant BD, Kapoor A, Konety B, Mitteldorf D, Ross M, Talley KMC, Terveen L, West W, Wright MM. Health-related quality of life by human immunodeficiency virus status in a cross-sectional survey of gay and bisexual prostate cancer survivors. Psychooncology. 2019 Dec.
- Albersheim J, Sathianathen NJ, Zabell J, Renier J, Bailey T, Hanna P, Konety BR, Weight CJ. Skeletal Muscle and Fat Mass Indexes Predict Discharge Dispostion after Radical Cystectomy. J Urol. 2019 Dec.
- Umbreen S, Banday MM, Jamroze A, Mansini AP, Ganaie AA, Ferrari MG, Maqbool R, Beigh FH, Murugan P, Morrissey C, Corey E, Konety BR, Saleem M. COMMD3:BMI1 Fusion and COMMD3 Protein Regulate C-MYC Transcription: Novel Therapeutic Target for Metastatic Prostate Cancer. Mol Cancer Ther. 2019 Nov.
- Murugan P, Shukla D, Morocho J, Smith D, Sciacca D, Pickard M, Wahlsten M, Gunderson A, Konety B, Khalifa MA, Warlick C. Prostate Biopsy Processing. Am J Clin Pathol. 2019 Nov 4.
- Prostate cancer, Bladder cancer, Urologic cancers, Genitourinary cancer