Education and Training Opportunities
Masonic Cancer Center Program Meetings and Lectures
- Cancer Center Seminar Series (watch recorded seminars)
- Cancer Detection, Treatment and Survivorship Seminar
- Cancer Prevention and Control Seminar
- Cell Signaling Program
- Genetic Mechanisms of Cancer Program Meeting
- Immunology Program Meetings (held concurrent with meetings of the Center for Immunology)
- Tumor Microenvironment Program Meeting
- BMT Conference
- Cancer Biology Research Club
Upcoming Conferences and Special Lectures
September 29, 2014: 11th Annual Women’s Health Research Conference: Updates on Women’s Cancer Research
McNamara Alumni Center, University of Minnesota
Olufunmilayo I. Olopade, M.D., FACP, Walter L. Palmer Distinguished Service Professor of Medicine and Human Genetics; Associate Dean, Global Health; Director, Center for Clinical Cancer Genetics; University of Chicago
Co-sponsored by the Powell Center for Women’s Health and the Masonic Cancer Center
A call for abstracts has been issued. The deadline for award consideration and oral presentations is Monday, July 28, 2014. Visit the website for more information.
September 30, 2014: Health Equity Dinner & A Movie
4-5 p.m., 717 Delaware St. SE, Room 105
Enjoy dinner while watching a segment from Unnatural Causes: Is Inequality Making Us Sick?, a documentary exploring racial and socioeconomic inequalities in health. In addition, there will be a group discussion facilitated by Jasjit S. Ahluwalia, MD, MPH, MS, Director of the Center for Health Equity and Associate Director of the Clinical and Translational Science Institute. This event is open to all students, faculty, and staff, and is part of Greater than 7 Week, a University-wide week of equity and diversity events. Pizza, popcorn, and beverages will be provided. Space is limited; RSVP to reserve your spot.
October 9, 2014: Pediatric Survivors after HCT: Long-term screening and Preventive Practices
4-5 p.m., live webinar
Register at BeTheMatchClinical.org/Predsurvivors
October 20, 2014: 5th Annual Masonic Cancer Center Research Symposium
10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., first floor, Cancer and Cardiovascular Research Building
Keynote Speaker: B.J. Kennedy Lecturer in Medical Oncology Jonathan Samet, M.D., M.S., Director, University of Southern California Institute for Global Health, Professor and Flor L. Thornton Chair, Department of Preventive Medicine, Keck School of Medicine
The symposium will include two poster sessions.
October 21, 2014: Catalyzing Translational Innovation: A Talk from the Director of NCATS
11:30am-12:30p.m., Mayo Memorial Auditorium
Biomedical science is in an era of unprecedented accomplishment, but there isn’t a concomitant improvement in meaningful health outcomes. So how can the needs and opportunities of translational science be met? Dr. Christopher P. Austin, director of the NIH’s National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences (NCATS), will talk about the agency’s focus on the translational process and describe its mission, programs, and deliverables, with a view toward future developments. RSVP to reserve a box lunch, or join remotely via UMConnect; walk-ins will also be accepted.
November 5, 2013: 2014 Advancing Cancer Health Equity Conference
11 a.m.-7:30 p.m., Hilton Bloomington, Minneapolis
Sponsored by Minnesota Center for Cancer Collaborations
View the Call for Abstracts. Submission deadline in September 15.
Visit the website for more information and to register.
November 6, 2014: 2014 Cancer Summit - Cancer Care: It's a Partnership
8 a.m.-7 p.m., Hilton Bloomington, Bloomington, Minnesota
Keynote Speaker: Julie Silver, M.D., Associate Professor, Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Harvard Medical School
Visit the website for more infromation.
January 26, 2015: SAVE THE DATE! Inaugural Kersey Lecture
Jennifer Grandis, M.D., will speak. Time and location to be determined.
Interdisciplinary Team Conferences
- Brain Tumor Conference: Monday, 1-2 p.m., C456 Mayo
- Breast Cancer Interdisciplinary Conference: Friday, 7 a.m., C456 Mayo
- Head & Neck Cancer Conference: Monday, 12:30-1 p.m., Large conference room, ENT department, 8th floor PWB
- Hematologic Malignancy Conference: 2nd and 4th Mondays, 4:15 p.m., Bell Institute of Pathology, D175 Mayo
- Melanoma Interdisciplinary Group" 4th Tuesday, 8 a.m., C456 Mayo
- Musculo-Skeletal Tumor Conference: Thursday, 7 a.m., Surgical-Pathology Conference Room, 4th floor Mayo
- Surgical Oncology/GI Tumor Teaching Conference: Monday, 5-6 p.m., Rotates each week betweee 11-157 PWB and HCMC Green Building, 5th floor, room 328 (contact Tina Russell for location: 612-625-2991)
- Thoracic Oncology Conference: Thursday, 11 a.m.-12 Noon, 114 LHI