Minnesota Masonic Charities
In April 2008, Minnesota Masonic Charities presented the University of Minnesota with an extraordinary gift of $65 million—the largest gift ever made to the University—to seek the cure for cancer. In recognition of the gift, the name of the University's cancer center was changed to Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota.
Over the years, in addition to the historic 2008 gift, Masons and members of the Order of the Eastern Star of Minnesota have generously provided $35 million to the Masonic Cancer Center Fund to support cancer research and patient care, including a $10 million pledge to build a new state-of-the-art cancer clinic. In 2014, Minnesota Masonic Charities also pledged $25 million to the University’s children’s hospital, bringing their total University giving to $125 million. In honor of this milestone, the hospital was renamed University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital.
Support from the Masonic Cancer Center Fund began with a $1 million gift to build the Masonic Memorial Hospital on the University of Minnesota campus. The hospital admitted its first patient in 1958 and still operates today as a cancer clinic and general research building.
Milestones of Masonic Support
Masonic Cancer Center Fund (MCCF) is founded, $1 million is raised to build the 80-bed Masonic Memorial Hospital which was dedicated in 1958.
The University of Minnesota confers its highest honor, the Regents award, upon the Masonic Fraternity. They are awarded this honor again in 1986.
A second campaign successfully raises more than $1 million to add two new floors and 40 beds to the Masonic Memorial Hospital.
Masonic Families of Minnesota pledge $500,000 to purchase the fourth-floor research facility in a building adjacent to the hospital.
$875,000 is pledged to construct and equip an outpatient clinic.
$1.1 million is given by the Masonic Families for more lab space and a new oncology clinic, facilitating collaboration among researchers by housing them in one facility.
$5 million is pledged toward four stories to the Dwan Variety Club Cardiovascular Research Center, with the expansion named the Masonic Cancer Research Building.
A floor of the Masonic Cancer Research Building is named the Eastern Star Cancer Research Floor to recognize the support of Eastern Star members.
University of Minnesota Cancer Center is designated a Comprehensive Cancer Center by the National Cancer Institute. The Masonic Cancer Center is one of only 41 institutions in the United States to hold the designation.
1999 - 2004
The Masonic Cancer Center Research Fund gives nearly $3.5 million to Dr. Philip McGlave and the Division of Hematology, Oncology and Transplantation at the University of Minnesota, Department of Medicine, for recruitment and career development of oncology faculty devoted to both patient care and research.
Masonic Cancer Center Fund becomes a Heritage Charity as part of the family of Minnesota Masonic Charities - Minnesota Masonic Charities commits to supporting MCCF's Partners for Life campaign to raise $10 million for a new state-of-the-art cancer clinic.
Minnesota Masonic Charities pledges $65 million to support the quest for a cure. The gift—the largest in the University’s history—changes the name of the University’s cancer center to Masonic Cancer Center, University of Minnesota.
Successful completion of the Masonic Cancer Center fund Partners for Life Campaign.
Minnesota Masonic Charities pledges $25 million to the University’s children’s hospital, bringing their total University giving to $125 million. In honor of this milestone the hospital was renamed University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital.
Historic footage describing the Masons' $1 million donation to build the Masonic Memorial Hospital.